A five-day Level 1 coaching course, organized by the Liberia Football Coaches Association, LIFOCA, (July 15-19), ended successfully last Saturday at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium in Monrovia.The course benefitted 40 coaches, drawn from local communities in and around Monrovia.Lecturers included coaches E. Baffoe, M. Kennedy Musue, Gbobor T. Gblinwon, ex-FIFA referee Alex Nagbo, LIFOCA president Francis Tamba and LFA technical director Henry Browne.Subjects treated included Brief history of football, coaching philosophy, the coach and coaching, principles and method of coaching, warm-up procedures and basic/complex motor qualities.Others were coaching plan, skill development, importance of mini-soccer (Small Sided Game-SSG), game understanding (attack), techniques in football, game understanding (defense), and the laws of the game.There was also practical application of the material at the end of each of the five days. However, the 5th day was devoted to evaluation, which was started before the practical session on the 4th day of the course.Evaluation as to the participants understanding and application of the course material was conducted following CAF rules and principles.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The West Point Monrovia community League sponsored by DonamiSports/YMCA ended last Saturday, with West Point BYC Jr. defeating Jr. Power Plant All Stars 5-1 at the West Point sports pitch.The match was watched by soccer fans from the community and DonamiSport’s CEO Doc Lawson and his deputy, David Suah.The tournament was part of a group matches began by DonamiSport/YMCA with support from the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the Liberia Football Association to select the best eighteen U14 players for the forthcoming Dr. Pepper Dallas Cup tournament in Dallas this April, in the United States.The coordinators explained to DonamiSport/YMCA representatives at a brief program at the YMCA on Broad Street, Monrovia about the difficulties they encountered to get the young children to participate in the selection process.“Some parents told me that they have heard many stories where others come to lie to their children and so they were not interested in the program,” a representative from New Kru Town told the gathering, as each of the community representatives explained their experiences, during the process.Donamisport CEO Doc Lawson expressed appreciation for the coordinators success despite the challenges and reminded them that their sacrifices were for the children and not for their personal benefits. “In the end it is what becomes of the children is what we are all after,” he said.His deputy, David Suah said they must consider themselves useful on account of the children, whose future should be their utmost concern, and expressed appreciation to the coordinators for their tireless efforts, since the project was handed to them several months ago.A YMCA representative reminded the coordinators of the importance of the project and urged them to work together.The coordinators meanwhile submitted names of seven talented players from nine communities, after several months of intensive selections. The communities included West Point, New Kru Town, Sinkor, Paynesville, Central Monrovia and others.Earlier on Saturday afternoon, the selected players met at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium and under the watchful eyes and professional expertise of coaches under LFA Technical Director Henry Browne, divided the 52 U14 players in a group of 9, and took them through some of the phases of the final selection.Other coaches present were Thomas Kojo, Raymond Morton, Kervin Sebwe, Hazel Gray, J. Kaetu Smith, Janjay Jacobs, Gabriel Johns and German physical trainer Fabius Maeur.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Carl Hilliman and Leon Gittens, both 21 years old, and Kristoff Watts and Kwasi McCoy, both 20 years old, were yesterday arraigned before Georgetown Magistrate Judy Latchman on a string of robbery offences allegedly committed jointly and severally in the Georgetown Magisterial District between July and November 2017.It is alleged that on September 20, 2017, while at the Stabroek Market, the quartet robbed Asif Ali of a quantity of gold jewellery, electronic gadgets, cash and documents to a total value of ,243,500.Hillman, Gittens and Watts are alleged to have robbed Brian Mohabir on July 30, 2017 while armed with an offensive weapon (ice pick), relieving him of a cellular phone and other items to the total value of ,000.These three defendants are also accused of robbing Carl Cheong of cash and other items valued at 5,000 on July 26, 2017 in the Georgetown area.The Police are further contending that Hilliman and Gittens were involved in an incident of robbery with aggravation which resulted in Riota Subishi losing 2,000 on October 28, 2017.Two additional charges were brought solely against Hilliman. One alleged that he robbed Dariam Ramkadiss of cash 6,000, and Suraj Goserall of cash 3,000 between September and November respectively, in the Georgetown Magisterial District.The court heard that Gittens is employed as a vendor, while his cousin, Watts, is a minibus conductor. They both reside in Cowan Street, Kingston, Georgetown.Hilliman, the court was told, plies his trade as a mason in the Georgetown ward of Bourda, and McCoy is said to be a cigarette vendor living in Fort Street, Kingston, Georgetown.All four of the unrepresented defendants pleaded not guilty to the offences for which they were charged. They denied any knowledge of the offences, and appeared incredulous at being remanded to prison after Magistrate Latchman had upheld the prosecutor’s bail objections.This case has been set to continue on December 4, 2017 before Magistrate Judy Latchman.
A 24-year-old Grove, East Bank Demerara (EBD) resident was on Monday slapped with an armed robbery charge when he appeared before Magistrate Faith McGusty at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Tajnaught Ramkissoon, a contractor, denied the charge which stated that on December 15, 2018, at Jimbo Bridge, Grove, he relieved Ramesh Seenarine of a Black Samsung cellphone valued $32,000 along with $57,000 in cash while carrying a knife.Police stated that on the day in question, Seenarine had returned from the interior and was enquiring about his relative and as such, asked the defendant for directions. Upon giving the directions, Ramkissoon asked the VC for $200.The court heard that while the VC was reaching for the money, the defendant took out a knife from his pocket and placed it at his neck. He then relieved the man of the items mentioned above.Police Prosecutor Seon Blackman objected to bail, since the defendant was positively identified by the victim during an identification parade.As such, Ramkissoon was remanded to prison and was scheduled to make his next court appearance on January 7, 2019. The matter was transferred to the Providence Magistrates’ Courts.
They will meet at the Baldonnel School at 5 p.m., with riders hitting the bikes at 6 p.m. for a traditional 16 k time trial.Following the time trial will be a potluck barbeque, which will be held at the school gym.The festivities don’t stop Saturday, as Sunday, June 11, riders will race in a road race and team race, which will also be starting from the Baldonnel School. There will once again be snacks afterwards, also at the school. 25 riders hit the pavement Thursday evening, with 19 of those riders breaking their yearly personal best times.Heather McCracken registered the greatest time improvement for the women, shedding 3:15 from her original time to win the women’s side. Davide Loro improved his time by 1:58 to win the men’s.Tanner McCracken took first in the 8 km most improved, with a time of 7:04.- Advertisement -2007 National Road Champion, Jon Wood of Edmonton, was the fastest rider of the evening, finishing first with a time of 22:23.Irvin Tang placed second behind Wood with a time 24:26, while Kevin Shaw rounded out third place at 25:24.This Sunday, June 10, the Blizzard Bike Club will be celebrating its 30th anniversary by holding two races as well as a BBQ.Advertisement
While there’s still a chance that Fort St. John’s incumbent Mayor Jim Eglinski may run uncontested, in Dawson Creek, Mayor Calvin Kruk is already facing some competition. Dawson Creek’s former Mayor Wayne Dahlen has filed his papers for the mayoral running. Dahlen lost 2004’s election to Kruk amid dissatisfaction surrounding the increasing cost of construction on the city’s Multiplex. Unlike Fort St. John, Dawson Creek’s ballot currently includes more newcomers than incumbents. However, candidates still have just under a week to file nomination papers.- Advertisement –
Photo: Sergeant Perret and family address the media at a press conference Thursday afternoon – Andrew Tylosky/Energeticcity.ca – Advertisement – The Fort St. John RCMP have arrested one male following the fatal hit and run last week.In the evening hours of Friday Oct. 1, 2010, police arrested a 36 year-old Fort St. John man.The male has been taken into Police custody and is scheduled to appear in Fort St. John court on Monday Oct. 4.The Fort St. John RCMP have recommended charges of Dangerous Driving Causing Death, Fail to Remain at the Scene of an Accident and Driving While Disqualified.The suspects name will not be released until after his first court appearance.Advertisement The RCMP have confirmed to Energeticcity.ca, they do know the identities of the other two people who were allegedly in the vehicle at the time of the incident. At this time, the RCMP has not recommended charges against those individuals.87 year-old Nora Gallifer was killed in a fatal hit and run on Wednesday Sep. 29, 2010. The accident happened just after noon when Gallifer and her husband, Herb Sandgrett, were getting into his vehicle to go to lunch.An MTC pick-up truck backed into Gallifer, pinning her against her husband’s vehicle. The three occupants of the truck apparently got out, saw the woman and then got back into the truck and fled the scene.
Avril McMonagleAvril McMonagle, Donegal Childcare Manager is strongly urging all 83 community managed early childhood services in County Donegal to apply for the new capital grant announced by the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs last week. The fund provides capital funding of €2.5 million for the repair, maintenance and upgrade of community and not-for-profit childcare services.The funding will be directed towards two specific purposes: 1. Large scale maintenance works: Grants of up to €50k. This would include works to roofs, windows and doors, heating and sanitary systems, building access or safety, replacement of worn fixtures and fittings and essential repairs to outdoor play areas.2. Quality improvement and sustainability: Grants of up to 50k for medium or large scale works to improve Building Energy Rating (BER) to support sustainability.However, Ms McMonagle added that not all childcare facilities will be pleased by the funding announcement.“The announcement is bitter sweet for privately managed childcare providers across Donegal. 68 of the 151 early childhood services in Donegal will not be able to apply for this funding. It is disappointing that this decision has been taken as it creates an inequality of opportunity in our sector that is totally avoidable. “A fairer approach would have been to introduce two levels of funding – one for community managed services and one for privately managed services. This would have enabled all services across the county to upgrade facilities for children in a more equitable manner’ she said.Ms McMonagle pointed out how childhood services could improve their chances of being successful in obtaining funding.‘The criteria and funding limits of this programme have been designed to ensure the best possible outcome for investment, therefore, it is hugely important that early childhood services carefully review the application guidance document provided and submit applications strictly in line with this.“Value for money is also central so any requests for funding need to be supported by realistic, comparable quotations. When the need to shortlist applications is so competitive, it is remarkable how many applications don’t get passed the first stage due to the omission of one piece of information.”Ms McMonagle also encouraged early childhood services to ‘keep it local’ by working with local businesses and trades people when compiling quotations and awarding contracts for maintenance work. “These can often represent best value for money and can also be used as a sound rationale as part of a funding application regarding access to follow up or additional works.”The programme is now open for applications via the Pobal website www.pobal.ie. For advice and assistance to complete the application please contact Donegal County Childcare on 074 9123442 and ask to speak to a Childcare Development Officer who will provide support and advice regarding the application and appraisal process.CHILDCARE MANAGER URGES DONEGAL CHILDCARE SERVICES TO APPLY FOR FUNDING was last modified: April 7th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Avril McMonagleDonegal County Childcarefundinggrants
Former members of the Defence Forces stand to attention at Conwal Graveyard. Pics by Geraldine Diver.Dozens of former members of the Defence Forces gathered at Conwal Graveyard in Letterkenny yesterday for a unique occasion.In recent weeks, a stunning memorial in honour of the deceased members of the Defence Forces has ben constructed.And yesterday, in stunning sunshine, the official unveiling of the memorial took place. Many thanks to Geraldine Diver for the photos.FORMER DEFENCE FORCES GATHER TO UNVEIL UNIQUE MEMORIAL – PIC SPECIAL was last modified: September 22nd, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Conwal GraveyarddonegalGeraldine Divermemorial