Montego Bay United striker Gordon faces three-week layoff

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU:Montego Bay United (MBU) FC not only lost their chance of advancing to the next round in the CFU’s Caribbean Club Championship by losing 1-0 to Trinidad and Tobago’s Central FC on Sunday night, they also may lose the services of red-hot striker Owayne ‘Turtle’ Gordon for at least three weeks.Midfielder Darren Mitchell’s 87th-minute strike was the decisive factor as MBU ended with 10 men after the sending off of centre back Winston Wilkinson for a second bookable offence.DECIDING GAMEBoth teams had beaten the other group contender, Cayman Islands’ Scholars FC, and their Sunday night clash was the decider. Central FC had won 6-0 over Scholars, while MBU had won 4-0.Gordon was replaced in the first half after he was accidentally poked in the left eye by a Central FC defender.”We took him to see an ophthalmologist and the diagnosis is that he suffered what they say is a laceration of the eyeball, meaning that he was scraped in the eye, most likely from a fingernail,” said Sandra Christie, the club’s chief operating officer.The injury could keep the player off the field for close to a month and comes at a most inappropriate time for both player and club.MoBay United are currently leading the Red Stripe Premier League with 55 points, one more than Portmore United, who drew 2-2 away to FC Reno in their Sunday fixture. But the Montego Bay club has played one game less, while boasting a league-leading 45 goals.Gordon, for his part, has been in sensational form, racking up seven goals in his last three outings for the club, including back-to-back braces in the Premier League before exploding for a hat-trick against Scholars FC of Cayman in last Wednesday’s opening Group Three match in the Club Championship.He has also become the focal point in attack for MoBay United in the absence of Dino Williams, who inked a season-long deal to play football in the United States.”Gordon’s injury does not sit well with the club. In fact, we are totally unhappy with the officiating in this match,” said Christie, adding that Cuban referee Marcos Despaign was not of a quality befitting such levels.”The referee, it would seem, never had an angle on the game. How can a player be seriously injured in the eye and you telling him to get up and play?” she questioned.last_img read more

Caregiver Provides Updates on Kids Undergoing Treatment in US

first_imgMs. Charlesetta N. Williams, Executive Director of Healthpage Liberia, has told our Health Desk that the two sick Liberian kids she helped to send to the US for medical treatment are said to be positively responding to their treatments. Four-year old Prince J. Tweh and 16-year old Hawa Chuku Kolleh’s medical conditions could not be treated in Liberia.Little Prince from the impoverished slum community of West Point, fell into a pot of boiled water on September 11, 2015. According to Ms. Williams, little Prince was so seriously burnt that both his arms got stuck to his body. As for 16-year-old Hawa Chuku Kolleh from Geeghbahn District, Grand Bassa County, a 22-year- old man, only identified as Abraham, slipped under her bed at night and poured sulfuric acid on her face, which led to her face being badly disfigured. However, after they (Prince and Hawa) arrived in the US, they began seeing specialized medical doctors. According to Ms. Williams, Ms. Bennetta N. Massaquoi, the young lady, who escorted the kids to the US told her that Prince was admitted on May 8, 2016 at the Shriner’s Hospital for Children in Boston with high fever, headache and wound discharges. He was treated and discharged to his host parents on May 10, 2016. He was given a follow up appointment for a surgery on May 13.“His doctor, Dr. Sheridan did a graft replacement and the donor site was his right thigh. He successfully underwent the surgery and was discharged on May 17. He had his second surgery done on June 10. A graft replacement was performed on the left arm using his left thigh as the donor site and he was discharged on June 15,” Ms. Massaquoi reported.As for Hawa, she had her first appointment at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston on May 9, where she was diagnosed of having less vision with the left eye. “She was placed on lubricant eye ointment to help clear the vision but the vision got worse. After several follow ups at the MEEI, she was diagnosed of cornea failure and successfully underwent the surgery and is now administering eye drops. Her right eye is still in good condition.”Ms. Massaquoi stated that Hawa’s next follow-up is on July 5, today with Dr. Chodos, an Ophthalmologist. She had her second appointment but first with Dr. Bojovic, a Plastic Surgeon at the Shriner’s Hospital for Children in Boston on May 18.“She was examined thoroughly and had a successful eyelid replacement surgery on May 25. Her body responded well to the replacement. This procedure was done to give her eyes better protection. “She then had a skin graft replacement on June 14. The skin was removed from her left thigh. The graft is currently in place and well secured to help the eyelids stay intact. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Asian tapeworm found in Alaskan salmon

first_img(Graphic: Jayde Ferguson)Scientists recently announced they had found an Asian tapeworm species in pink salmon caught off the coast of the Kenai Peninsula.Listen nowHumans can contract the tapeworm by eating raw or under-cooked fish, but researchers say the risk is low.For years, researchers have suspected the Japanese broad tapeworm was present on the Pacific Coast of North America. But with improved genetic techniques, they can now be sure.In a recent study, a team of scientists identified a Japanese broad tapeworm larva in pink salmon caught in Resurrection Creek near Hope.The tapeworm larva, which was about 10 mm long, had burrowed deep into the fish’s muscle near the spinal cord.Jayde Ferguson is a fish pathologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game and one of the study co-authors. He said the Japanese species looks remarkably similar to another fish tapeworm already present in North America.“There’s been growing evidence that it’s been here, it’s just the ability to differentiate it with the similar looking species has now improved with molecular testing,” Ferguson said.Japanese broad tapeworm eggs were first found in wolf feces in British Columbia back in 2008.This is the first time larvae in fish have been found in North America, but it’s likely this species has been present here for many years. That’s why Ferguson said the name Japanese broad tapeworm is somewhat misleading.“Pacific salmon are on both sides of the Pacific Ocean. They’ve evolved on those sides for thousands and thousands of years as have their parasites,” Ferguson said. “There’s really no increased risk, no need to be alarmed.”Since it was first identified in 1986, the tapeworm has been found in several salmon species, including sockeye, chum and pinks.Tapeworm larvae in raw or under-cooked fish can infect humans and other carnivores. An estimated 2,000 people have contracted the tapeworm worldwide, mostly in northeast Asia.The risk of contracting the parasite in Alaska, either from raw fish in a restaurant or at the store, is low. According to the Alaska Food Code, businesses must freeze all fish prior to serving to kill parasites.To ensure the safety of personally caught fish, Ferguson said there are simple precautions to take.“There are FDA guidelines on how to prepare your fish properly to basically avoid any risk of infection,” Ferguson said. “That would be freezing your fish in your standard household freezer for one week or cooking it to the standard recommended cooking temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit.”The study appears in the February issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases.For more information on common fish diseases and parasites in Alaska, consult the Alaska Department of Fish and Game’s illustrated handbook.last_img read more