Montego Bay United striker Gordon faces three-week layoff

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU:Montego Bay United (MBU) FC not only lost their chance of advancing to the next round in the CFU’s Caribbean Club Championship by losing 1-0 to Trinidad and Tobago’s Central FC on Sunday night, they also may lose the services of red-hot striker Owayne ‘Turtle’ Gordon for at least three weeks.Midfielder Darren Mitchell’s 87th-minute strike was the decisive factor as MBU ended with 10 men after the sending off of centre back Winston Wilkinson for a second bookable offence.DECIDING GAMEBoth teams had beaten the other group contender, Cayman Islands’ Scholars FC, and their Sunday night clash was the decider. Central FC had won 6-0 over Scholars, while MBU had won 4-0.Gordon was replaced in the first half after he was accidentally poked in the left eye by a Central FC defender.”We took him to see an ophthalmologist and the diagnosis is that he suffered what they say is a laceration of the eyeball, meaning that he was scraped in the eye, most likely from a fingernail,” said Sandra Christie, the club’s chief operating officer.The injury could keep the player off the field for close to a month and comes at a most inappropriate time for both player and club.MoBay United are currently leading the Red Stripe Premier League with 55 points, one more than Portmore United, who drew 2-2 away to FC Reno in their Sunday fixture. But the Montego Bay club has played one game less, while boasting a league-leading 45 goals.Gordon, for his part, has been in sensational form, racking up seven goals in his last three outings for the club, including back-to-back braces in the Premier League before exploding for a hat-trick against Scholars FC of Cayman in last Wednesday’s opening Group Three match in the Club Championship.He has also become the focal point in attack for MoBay United in the absence of Dino Williams, who inked a season-long deal to play football in the United States.”Gordon’s injury does not sit well with the club. In fact, we are totally unhappy with the officiating in this match,” said Christie, adding that Cuban referee Marcos Despaign was not of a quality befitting such levels.”The referee, it would seem, never had an angle on the game. How can a player be seriously injured in the eye and you telling him to get up and play?” she questioned.last_img read more

Bournemouth 2-0 Watford: Cherries extend Championship lead with win over ten-man Hornets

first_img1 Bournemouth extended their lead at the top of the Championship with a narrow win over ten-man Watford at the Goldsands Stadium.Gabriele Angella was controversially shown a red card inside the opening 60 seconds for the visitors, the Hornets’ fifth of the campaign, before Yann Kermorgant put the Cherries ahead from the penalty spot.Matt Ritchie’s low finish wrapped up the victory in the second half, while Troy Denney was twice denied by Steve Cook’s alert defending.A horror start for Watford saw Angella dismissed for a wild lunge on Callum Wilson, with the Italian defender deemed to have denied the ex-Coventry man a goal-scoring opportunity, despite Craig Cathcart’s recovery run for the Hornets.The hosts quickly established control with their numerical advantage as Kermorgant threatened to open the scoring with a header, before Cook reacted expertly to deny Watford skipper Deeney.Watford were then rescued by the woodwork when Kermorgant rattled the bar with a rasping volley, but the visitors continued to look dangerous on the break with Ben Watson stabbing the ball wide after a scramble inside the Bournemouth area.Yet, the away side’s defence was breached on 33 minutes after Cathcart’s clumsy challenge on the lively Wilson allowed Kermorgant to guide the ball past Heurelho Gomes from the spot.Bournemouth started brightly after the break as Matt Ritchie grazed the post with a skidding drive, before Daniel Tozser produced the best out of Cherries goalkeeper Lee Camp.And Ritchie soon put the home side further in front with a clinical, angled finish past Gomes following Marc Pugh’s hanging cross.But Cook was forced into another crucial intervention to deny an instant response from Slavisa Jokanovic’s side, sliding across the path of Deeney’s drilled effort.Then, Gomes was again called into action, this time pulling off a stunning parry to prevent Kermorgant’s header from nestling into the bottom corner.However, match ended on a sour note as Eunan Charles O’Kane was lucky to escape without a serious injury, following an unnecessarily late tackle from Daniel Pudil. Bournemouth celebrate Matt Ritchie’s strike last_img read more