UWI were hungry for win … Coach Marcel Gayle happy for team’s historic top flight success

first_imgPortmore United’s dream start to the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) came to an unlikely end yesterday after they fell 1-0 to bottom-of-the-table University of the West Indies (UWI) Football Club at the UWI Bowl. The St Catherine-based club had a perfect three wins from as many matches, but Kemar Cummings’ 87th-minute strike ended that record and gave newcomers UWI their first-ever Premier League win. “We were hungry for it,” UWI’s coach, Marcel Gayle, told The Gleaner. “We were more disciplined and more organised, but most importantly, we got the win.” The three points lifted UWI to ninth, tied with eighth-place Harbour View (three points), but sit above Tivoli Gardens, Boys’ Town and Waterhouse, who are all yet to win this season. The defeat also meant Port-more lost their place at the top, as they slipped to second behind Reno, who stopped Tivoli 3-2. Randell Morris netted the winner from the spot in the third minute of added time after the teams were locked at 2-2. At Stadium East, Cavalier registered their second straight win with a 2-0 win over Rivoli. Ryan Miller fired the home team ahead on the stroke of half-time before Chevone Marsh sealed the win seven minutes from time. “It was a harder game than I thought it would be,” winning coach Rudolph Speid said afterwards. “They came close to scoring on a few occasions, but once we settled and started passing the ball, we got the first goal, and the second goal was just a matter of time.” The win carried Cavalier to third on seven points, ahead of Humble Lion only on goal difference, three behind leaders Reno (10) and two adrift of Portmore United (9). At Barbican field, Montego Bay United continue Boys’ Town’s miserable start, handing the hosts a 3-0 defeat. MoBay sit mid-table with Arnett Gardens, on six points. Waterhouse currently sit at the bottom with one point from their games, and will play Harbour View in the Monday-night game at Harbour View this evening at 8:30 p.m.last_img read more

Police release more information regarding Friday’s fatal collision on Highway 52

first_imgDAWSON CREEK, B.C. – One vehicle attempting to cross Highway 52 south of Arras collided with another vehicle on Friday afternoon.On Friday, September 9th the Dawson Creek RCMP were called to the scene of a two-vehicle crash that occurred on Highway 52 at the intersection with Leask Road shortly after 3:15 p.m.A westbound Jeep was attempting to cross Highway 52 from Brassy Road to Leask Road when it was struck by a southbound Dodge pickup that was traveling towards Tumbler Ridge on the highway.- Advertisement -Dawson Creek Fire Chief Gordon “Shorty” Smith confirmed that an 8 year-old girl that was a passenger in the Jeep was fatally injured and succumbed to her injuries. The remaining three occupants of the Jeep were transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries, while the driver of the pickup truck was not injured.The BC Coroners Service and the Dawson Creek RCMP are continuing their investigation into what could have caused the collision.last_img read more