World Cup 2019: Heart goes out to players who have missed out, says Ravi ShastriWorld Cup 2019: India head coach Ravi Shastri agreed that capable players have missed out on the World Cup berth but said the national selectors have zeroed in on the best combination for the mega tournament.advertisement India Today Web Desk New DelhiMay 15, 2019UPDATED: May 15, 2019 15:03 IST India head coach Ravi Shastri backed selectors for picking the best men for World Cup 2019. (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSIndia head coach Ravi Shastri empathised with players who were not selected for the World Cup 2019Virat Kohli said Dinesh Karthik was picked over Rishabh Pant for his experienceIndia will begin their World Cup campaign against South Africa on May 30It has been exactly a month since BCCI announced the India squad for World Cup 2019 and since then the team selection has been a hot topic of discussion because of the notable omissions in the 15-member squad.The national selectors sprung up a surprise by leaving out young wicketkeeper batsman Rishabh Pant. Instead, Dinesh Karthik was named as the second choice wicketkeeping option after MS Dhoni.Ambati Rayudu also failed to make it to the squad as Vijay Shankar pipped the 33-year-old because of his ”three-dimensional” qualities.India head coach Ravi Shastri admitted that a couple of capable players were left out of the World Cup-bound squad and empathised with those who couldn’t fetch the seat.”We can very well imagine there’s more than an opinion in place that some capable guys have missed out. Heart goes out to them,” Ravi Shastri told the Times of India.”Picking 15 from an immensely talented pool is never easy. I’d say to these guys: Keep going the way you have. Be prepared, in case there’s an unforeseen requirement that pops up. But, what the selectors have zeroed in on: I’ll say, it’s the best combination that’s been put in place after factoring in all aspects.”Several former players had put their weight behind Rishabh Pant after the 21-year-old wasn’t named in the World Cup team.Former India captain Sourav Ganguly had recently said, “India will miss Pant in the World Cup. I don’t know in whose place but he will be missed.”However, speaking beside Ravi Shastri, Virat Kohli explained that Dinesh Karthik was picked up for the World Cup because of the experience he carries under his belt.advertisement”In pressure situations, he’s shown composure. It was something that everybody on board was convinced about.””He has the experience. If, god forbid, something happens to MS (Dhoni), Karthik can be immensely valuable behind the wickets. As a finisher, he’s done well.”So, it was the overall exposure to a tournament of this magnitude that was taken into primary consideration.”The World Cup teams can change players until May 23 for the World Cup 2019 without the permission of the ICC. The World Cup starts on May 30 and India will start off their campaign against against South Africa on June 5.Also Read | When MS Dhoni suggested a Rs 10,000 fine, no one was ever late again for team meetingsAlso Read | Arjun Tendulkar shines with all-round show in T20 Mumbai League openerAlso SeeFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat Tags :Follow World Cup 2019Follow Rishabh PantFollow Dinesh KarthikFollow Ambati RayaduFollow Vijay Shankar
Is Classic French Technique Still Relevant In Today’s Culinary World? Editors’ Recommendations America’s Oldest City Has a Super-Modern Dining and Drinking Scene Welcome to Funner, California (Yes, It’s a Real Place) The Best Rums for Mixing to Turn Any Night Into Island Night The Best Men’s Quilted Jackets Stitched for Every Occasion As if you needed more of a reason to treat yourself to some rest and relaxation in a tropical paradise this summer, Chef Marcus Samuelsson just announced the opening of his two month pop-up at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess hotel in Bermuda. To preview his new signature restaurant set to open at the hotel in May 2015, the pop-up will run from June 3rd to August 3rd. Samuelsson crafted a vibrant menu that celebrates Bermudian culture and history to be executed by chef de cuisine Leo Marino and chef de cuisine Justin Levine from Red Rooster Harlem in NYC.Staying true to his internationally-influenced cooking style, Samuelsson’s dishes will highlight fresh seafood and local flavors. There of course will be raw options – like Rockfish Crudo with pickled cherry tomato, radishes and jalapeño oil – and small plates like Fish Chowder Croquettes with rum aioli and Paddlefish Caviar Tacos with wasabi sour cream and red onion. The mains are not to be missed and will include dishes like Grilled Head on Shrimp with ginger-scallion sauce, sweet soy and cilantro and Mustard-Crusted Lamb Rack with red wine and coffee-caramelized pearl onions. Is your mouth watering yet?“I’m excited to create new flavors inspired by the rich, vibrant culture and history of Bermuda,” Samuelsson said. “From fresh-caught, local fish to an array of Caribbean and Portuguese ingredients and traditions, there is such a wealth of inspiration to bring to the table.”Of course tropical drinks are in order as well, and the pop-up restaurant’s bar will aim to please. Large, shareable pitchers of Rum Rum Punch is what we’re looking forward to most, a boozy mix of white and dark rum, coconut water, pineapple juice, lime and nutmeg. We’ll take a paper umbrella with that too please.To celebrate Samuelsson’s summer pop-up, The Fairmont Hamilton Princess will offer a Culinary Escape Package to traveling epicures. It includes accommodations in a newly renovated deluxe harbor view room, a signed copy of Marcus Samuelsson’s memoir, Yes, Chef, dinner for two at Samuelsson at HP and breakfast for two each morning. Rates start at $779 per night with a minimum two-night stay and will be available June 1 – August 2, 2014. To make reservations, visit their website or call (800) 441-1414. Bon appétit!
VANCOUVER — David Brown’s marijuana marketing students are often shocked to learn how difficult it is to — well — market marijuana.Advertising medical cannabis is essentially banned in Canada, with some exceptions. Restrictions on recreational weed are set to be a bit looser, but Brown still advises students to think of the constraints as opportunities.“These limitations can really aid in creativity. Marketing weed isn’t difficult, but marketing a highly regulated cannabis product is a lot more of a challenge,” said Brown, an instructor in Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s cannabis professional series.As legalization looms, observers say Ottawa faces a tricky balancing act on marketing. Large growers say branding is necessary to convince consumers to switch to the legal market, while health advocates call for plain packaging and strict advertising limits.The Cannabis Act, which would legalize recreational marijuana next July, would restrict marketing similarly to tobacco. It would ban promotion that appeals to youth, contains false or misleading statements or depicts people, celebrities, characters or animals.It would allow ads that present facts or promote brand preference. But they could only be shown in places where youth are not legally allowed, or broadcast if “reasonable steps” have been taken to ensure they “cannot be accessed by a young person.”The rules have been criticized as hazy. It’s unclear, for example, whether a commercial could air before a TV show or movie that is intended for adult audiences or how Internet ads would be policed.Health Canada spokeswoman Tammy Jarbeau said the “reasonable steps” to ensure an ad cannot be seen by a young person would depend on the circumstances. For example, websites could use age verification mechanisms, she said.“This would provide an opportunity to communicate factual information about cannabis, as well as information about a product’s brand characteristics, to allow adult consumers to make informed decisions,” she said.She said the government was not considering changes to the advertising provisions of the legislation, but if it’s passed by Parliament, Health Canada will develop guidance documents to help industry comply with the rules.Seventeen licensed producers have formed a Coalition for Responsible Cannabis Branding and put forward proposed guidelines, including that ads be allowed on TV, radio and websites where at least 70 per cent of the audience is expected to be over 18.Provinces can introduce additional marketing rules. Quebec’s framework allows some ads in newspapers and magazines where 85 per cent of readers are of the legal age, as well as in displays inside cannabis stores.“Offloading it to the provinces is not the answer,” said Lindsay Meredith, a Simon Fraser University marketing professor, who added it can lead to “spillover advertising,” where ads that comply with rules in one province are shown in another where they don’t.Mark Zekulin, president of Canada’s largest licensed producer, Canopy Growth, said branding breeds accountability. If consumers are going to be more likely to remember their experience, companies will put more effort into ensuring it’s a good one.“If everybody’s in the same white packaging, maybe they’ll remember what they bought, maybe they won’t,” he said.Health Canada recently proposed regulations that would limit the use of colours and graphics on packages and require labels to have specific product information, mandatory health warnings and a standardized THC symbol.They would also restrict brand elements, including requiring a standard font, size and colour relative to other information on the package. Public consultation on the rules ends Jan. 20.Restrictions on fonts, graphics and colours open the door to brand prohibition, limiting the ability of companies to differentiate from each other and the black market, said Brendan Kennedy, president of Tilray, a leading licensed producer.“What you’ll see is a race to the bottom, where all these products are essentially competing on price,” he said. “You’ll see less investment in high-quality products.”Rebecca Jesseman of the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse and Addiction said the regulations were positive overall but restrictions on brand elements should be clearer.“It’s a tricky balance, because we don’t want to promote increased use and we don’t want (packaging) to be flashy, but we do certainly want to use it as a way to convey information effectively,” she said.“I think we’re looking at something that’s informative, truthful and perhaps a little bit bland.”Canada can learn from U.S. states that have legalized pot. Colorado allows print, radio, TV and Internet ads if there’s reliable evidence that 70 per cent of the audience is over 21, while Washington state requires ads to contain a number of warnings.Colorado banned promotions that appeal to kids when it legalized cannabis, but over time the rules became more specific, including prohibiting edibles shaped like animals, said Lewis Koski, the state’s former marijuana enforcement director.The federal government has given itself extra time to allow edibles, such as candies and cookies, in the marketplace, with regulations expected by July 2019. Koski, co-founder of consulting firm Freedman & Koski, praised the strategy.“Health Canada has done a really, really good job,” he said. “They’ve been very thoughtful in their approach and they recognize that this is going to take some time and it’s going to evolve.”The department said companies that violate the advertising or packaging rules, if passed, could face licence suspensions or revocations, fines of up to $1 million and potentially be referred to police.Brown, the Kwantlen instructor, said he expects Health Canada to make examples of those who don’t comply early on. The department already sends a stern letter about once a year to all the licensed medical producers, he said.“Inevitably, it’s a cycle where they all agree and they all comply, and then six or seven months later, they tend to drift away from that compliance,” he said. “We’ve yet to see any enforcement of that.”— Follow @ellekane on Twitter.
PPP General Secretary and Opposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoBy Michael YoungeOpposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo says that renegotiating the deal inked between United States Oil Company ExxonMobil and Guyana may prove to be very difficult even if the Peoples Progressive Party is reelected to office in 2020.Jagdeo, speaking at a press conference held at the PPP’s Freedom House headquarters on Church Street today, asserted that Guyana lost significantly after the negotiation process which the Government entered with an advantage.He made this comment while refusing to rule out, a renegotiation for more favourable terms if the PPP was successful at the 2020 polls. The Opposition Leader nonetheless called for the contract to be respected even if a majority of Guyanese are unhappy aspects of the agreement.“We are very unhappy about many of the contracts…the Barama Contract…the GTT Contract that we got when we went into office. WE inherited those but we have had to live with it…We have been one of the most successful Governments ever in our history in terms of attracting foreign investment….We respect contracts. We negotiate tough bargains…”, he explained.As a political party, Jagdeo said the PPP would not like to send the wrong message to foreign investors.The PPP General Secretary referenced another contentious issue which required tough negotiation with Guyana Gold Fields which resulted in a more reasonable outcome.‘If we can identify any contract where there was corrupt or under hand dealing that is a different ball game…”, Jagdeo said as he insisted that the PPP does not want to appear contentious to foreign investors but will not turn a blind eye to corruption or illegalitie that affect the nation’s interest and wellbeing.Last week, Government was forced to release the ExxonMobil Contract of months of refusing to do so and high levels of secrecy. It was pressured into releasing the contract document after a leaked letter to the Governor of the Bank of Guyana revealed that it had indeed received a whopping US$18M as a signing bonus resulting in widespread public rebuke and disapproval over Government’s dishonesty.The monies were kept outside of the Consolidated Fund which critics argued breached Guyana’s financial laws. Also, when calls were mounted for the dismissal of the Ministers who misled the public on the signing bonus and reasons for withholding the contract, President David Granger intervened and took the wrap.Jagdeo and the PPP are maintaining that there are still many more questions that need to be answered about the petroleum agreement and the manner in which it was negotiated. He said that Guyana got “peanuts” while ExxonMobil walked away with a favourable agreement. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedJagdeo demands full disclosure on Exxon contractJune 2, 2017In “latest news”Motion to renegotiate oil contract would be supported by Opposition, says JagdeoFebruary 15, 2018In “latest news”Guyana got “peanuts” for oil as ExxonMobil gains more – JagdeoDecember 29, 2017In “Business”