Malaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei aims for April return after nose cancer battle

first_img Next Malaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei aims for April return after nose cancer battleBadminton legend Lee Chong Wei was diagnosed with early stage nose cancer in mid 2018 and has been out of action since then. He wants to return to defend his Malaysian Open title in April.advertisement India Today Web Desk Kuala LumpurFebruary 11, 2019UPDATED: February 11, 2019 17:50 IST Lee Chong Wei said he would begin full training after getting a nod from his doctor to prepare for Malaysian Open. (@BA_Malaysia Photo)HIGHLIGHTSLee Chong Wei won the Commonwealth Games 2018 singles title defeating Kidambi SrikanthChong Wei wants to defend his Malaysian Open title in April, a tournament he has won 12 timesChong Wei is yet to return to full training and his check-up next month would determine thatMalaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei is planning to return to tour badminton in April this year after recovering from nose cancer. Chong Wei said on Monday that he wants to return in time to defend his Malaysian Open title – that he won last year by defeating the current world No.1 Kento Momota of Japan.Lee Chong Wei’s health took a hit ahead of the World Badminton Championships last year due to which he withdrew from the Worlds and the Asian Games. It was later diagnosed that he had an early stage nose cancer.Ever since, Chong Wei has been out of action. But speaking post his first training session after the Chinese New Year holiday, he said he is yet to intensify his training regime and is waiting for a nod from his doctor in March.Chong Wei explained that his Malaysian Open return and full training will depend on the results of his check-up next month but Badminton Association of Malaysia will submit his name for the tournament.”So far I’m okay on court and at the gym. What is important is to build muscle and my feeling on court and so far everything is okay, maybe in one or two weeks I’ll be back to normal fitness. That is important for me now.”I spent one hour and 15 minutes on court and another hour in the gym. Now I will rest and be back on Wednesday. I must push myself slowly, and when the doctor gives me the green light, I will do my full training,” he said.advertisementIt has been reported that Chong wei was earlier looking to return to the circuit for the All England Championships in March but following his doctor’s advice, he pushed that plan ahead.The 36-year-old former world No.1, however, is itching to defend his Malaysian Open title at home – a tournament he has won a record 12 times.Last month, Chong Wei made an appearance for the men’s singles final presentation ceremony at the Malaysia Masters. He was honoured by Chen Long and Son Wan Ho as they called him up on the podium while posing for a photograph together. Chen and Son made Chong Wei stand in the centre as the three smiled for the shutterbugs, capping a heartwarming moment.Also Read | Cried, slumped on the sofa after hearing I had nose cancer: Lee Chong WeiAlso Read | Cancer-stricken Lee Chong Wei resumes badminton training in MalaysiaFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Tags :Follow Lee Chong WeiFollow Malaysian OpenFollow Badmintonlast_img read more

Value of Canadian building permits fell in March says StatsCan

OTTAWA — Statistics Canada says municipalities issued $6 billion worth of building permits in March, down 3.0% from February.The agency says the decline followed an 11.3% decrease the previous month.It says lower construction intentions in the non-residential sector in six provinces, led by Ontario, more than offset a gain in the residential sector.The value of permits in the non-residential sector fell 8.8% to $2.3 billion in March, the lowest level since January 2013.In the residential sector, the value of permits rose 1.0% to $3.7 billion, following a 20.8% decrease in February.The total value of permits was down in five provinces in March, with Ontario posting the largest decline, followed by Quebec and New Brunswick. read more